After being diagnosed with diabetes, the concerned patient becomes somewhat anxious. As this disease is chronic, it is natural for the patient to feel anxious. However, proper management of diet, exercise, stress and weight can help keep blood sugar under control and, in turn, reduce the physical and psychological burden of diabetes. As diabetes is related to metabolism, daily diet is important for the patient. The more proper and strict the diet, the better the diabetes remains under control. Dietitians and doctors always guide the diabetic patients about what should be their diet. Let’s know the information about what foods should be avoided by diabetic patients, what foods should be consumed in abundance… Diet and time of diet are two important things for diabetic patients. A moderate diet at the right time is helpful for these patients. In general, the diet of these patients should be nutritious, low in calories and low in fat. The diet should mainly consist of fruits, leafy vegetables, fruit vegetables, pulses. If a diabetic patient consumes more calories and fatty foods, the amount of glucose in the blood increases. If the blood glucose is not controlled, the chances of hyperglycemia increase and this can lead to long-term complications if this condition persists. Therefore, diabetic patients need to pay attention to their diet. For diabetic patients, it is necessary to include low-starch vegetables like broccoli, spinach, green beans in the diet. Similarly, sugar ie sweets, processed grains, rice, pasta should be very less in the diet. Carbohydrates in food cause blood sugar levels to rise. Therefore, such foods should be included in the diet in small quantities. Also Read – How is cholesterol good or bad? What to do if bad cholesterol increases?
These foods should be included in the diet of diabetic patients
- Fruits, vegetables, pulses, beans, low-fat dairy products should be included in the daily diet. Foods and drinks containing sugar, sodium should not be in the diet. Daily diet should include fiber rich foods.
- Diabetic patients should include fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardine twice a week in their diet. Omega-3 fatty acids (Omega-2 Fatty Acids) are abundant in these fishes. Eating this fish can prevent heart disease. However, fried fish or fish with high mercury content should not be eaten.
- Diabetics should include avocado, nuts, canola, olive and peanut oils in their diet in adequate amounts.
- Calories are a very important factor for diabetic patients. This factor affects blood sugar levels and weight. Therefore, it is necessary for such patients to focus on eating a balanced diet. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has introduced the concept of Plate Method for diabetic patients. Through this concept, it has been suggested how to have a balanced and nutritious diet.
- In this concept, the patient should use a 9 inch plate for food. 50 percent of it should consist of non-starchy vegetables, 25 percent should consist of low-protein foods such as lentils, tofu, fish, skin and lean chicken or turkey. It has also been said that pulses or legumes should be included in 25 percent of the area. If a person needs more carbohydrates, they should include fresh fruit and 1 cup of milk in this plate.
– Advertisement –
– Advertisement –
“The Glycemic Index” (GI) ranks foods that raise blood glucose levels. Accordingly, low GI foods include wheat bread, sweet potatoes, fruits and oats. Foods with moderate GI include brown rice, whole wheat bread. Foods with a high GI include flour bread, potatoes, rice, melons and chocolate bars. Diabetic patients should avoid consumption of saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol and sodium rich foods. Because these foods increase the risk of heart disease and strokes. Also, it is necessary for these patients to decide the timings of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks and take an appropriate amount and supplements at that time.
Marathi News, Breaking News in Marathi First on News18 Lokmat. Read today’s latest news, live news updates, first on trusted Marathi news website News18 Lokmat.